PDA

Ver la versión completa : Facebook compra Oculus Rift

pastel
25-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Tomá , te quoteo lo que dijo el Mark "Cachito" Zuckerberg :

I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.
Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.
This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.
Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.
Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.
But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.
This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.
These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.
Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.
Fuente: Puré (Mark "Cachito" Zuckerberg)

Otra cosa ameeego :

[clickea la imagen, gato]
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--VCmUOKpq--/rtrkfodpe0anijncvxnd.jpg (http://kotaku.com/notch-says-hes-canceled-oculus-rift-minecraft-because-1551568311?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow)

UPDATE 1:

Aca esta lo que dicen los que tienen la papota :
We started Oculus with a vision of delivering incredible, affordable, and ubiquitous consumer virtual reality to the world. We've come a long way in the last 18 months: from foam core prototypes built in a garage to an incredible community of active and talented developers with more than 75,000 development kits ordered. In the process, we've defined what consumer virtual reality needs to be and what it's going to require to deliver it.

A few months ago, Mark, Chris, and Cory from the Facebook team came down to visit our office, see the latest demos, and discuss how we could work together to bring our vision to millions of people. As we talked more, we discovered the two teams shared an even deeper vision of creating a new platform for interaction that allows billions of people to connect in a way never before possible.

Today, we're pleased to announce that we've joined forces with Facebook to create the best virtual reality platform in the world.

At first glance, it might not seem obvious why Oculus is partnering with Facebook, a company focused on connecting people, investing in internet access for the world and pushing an open computing platform. But when you consider it more carefully, we're culturally aligned with a focus on innovating and hiring the best and brightest; we believe communication drives new platforms; we want to contribute to a more open, connected world; and we both see virtual reality as the next step.

Most important, Facebook understands the potential for VR. Mark and his team share our vision for virtual reality's potential to transform the way we learn, share, play, and communicate. Facebook is a company that believes that anything is possible with the right group of people, and we couldn't agree more.

This partnership is one of the most important moments for virtual reality: it gives us the best shot at truly changing the world. It opens doors to new opportunities and partnerships, reduces risk on the manufacturing and work capital side, allows us to publish more made-for-VR content, and lets us focus on what we do best: solving hard engineering challenges and delivering the future of VR.Over the next 10 years, virtual reality will become ubiquitous, affordable, and transformative, and it begins with a truly next-generation gaming experience. This partnership ensures that the Oculus platform is coming, and that it's going to change gaming forever.

We'll see you in the Metaverse!

– Palmer, Brendan, John and the Oculus team

G4lle
25-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Paal, no creo que sea una buena noticia...

Si bien Oculus me parece una fantástica tecnología, lo veo mucho más orientado al gaming que a una plataforma social.
Y eso me pone a pensar qué es lo que quiere hacer Cachito ahora... incursionará en los video juegos? Seguirá adquiriendo compañías? Pondrá un puestito en Tristán Narvaja?

Tantas preguntas!!!

dDaunloz
25-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Zuckerberg

I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.

This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.

Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a courtside seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.

These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.

Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift-for-2-billion-2014-3#ixzz2x0quJ3OH

:-\

no se che... ojala la sigan bien

igual.. si whatsapp valia 19... oculus valia mucho mas.. como producto.. obviamente el valor a wazap se lo daba la db y no el producto en si que hay mil clones en la vuelta...

y que onda con toda la gente que crowdfundeo el projecto? que la chupen?

edit: fuuu pastel

Ryuug4
25-03-2014, 10:09 PM
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1964829_772488716097776_547643841_n.jpg

pastel
25-03-2014, 10:29 PM
dame 2

Thalios
26-03-2014, 10:58 AM
https://i.imgur.com/byeh8tD.gif

jotaemee
26-03-2014, 12:37 PM
es lo mismo que le ponen a los caballos en los ojos para que no se distraigan..

se viene el apocalipsis zombie, me voy a asesorar con fedespot para hacerme una cota de malla y conseguir una espada rebana cogotes..

Rhapsody
26-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Maestro KBdor

Juancho
26-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Muy buena esa foto ryuuga!

por cierto, lei en kotaku que hay gente que puso para el kickstarter que esta pidiendo su reembolso (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/comments)

Personalmente me parece una pija esto

dDaunloz
26-03-2014, 02:26 PM
tendrian que pedir reembolso con ganancias.. xq quieras o no fueron inversionistas

Juancho
26-03-2014, 02:26 PM
ultrabrite about 5 hours ago

now that you're swimming in money could you please ship free DK2s to your 9522 backers ?
that would be a kind way to say goodbye before you bail out.

Oliver Housknecht 36 minutes ago

I want my pledge back.

Sergey Chubukov about 8 hours ago

You selling out to Facebook is a disgrace. It damages not only your reputation, but the whole of crowdfunding. I cannot put into words how betrayed I feel by this.

Kert Tamm about 7 hours ago

What a disappointing decision to cash out even before getting first consumer version out.

weio about 14 hours ago

Pack it up, the dream is gone.

paulie Flomar about 15 hours ago

Sellout DICKS. You should refund every dollar.

Drew Madsen about 16 hours ago

The fact that they haven't even posted an update as they released the news, they know how much of a scumbag move this is.

Hugie about 16 hours ago

Oculus should not be about the money, it's about an idea, the future of VR. We supported your idea with our money and our heart. You earned your success, but this?
With facebook, its only about money. Now we are not the customer, we are the product.
So:

Since you now have ~400M$ in cash, it should'nt be that hard to pay your disappointed backers back their $2,437,429.
Thats 0.6% of your cash.
Or only 0.1% of the total 2 B$.
You won't feel it, but we will.

Maybe even let your kickstarters get a bigger share? Double it? 0.2%.

Michael Cooper about 19 hours ago

What in hell was the point of kickstarter if you sell out to a giant company like facebook?

This is very disappointing. I will no longer be supporting the Oculus rift in anyway.

Grant Wilkinson about 11 hours ago

I feel cheated. I backed a vision of what I wanted gaming to be in the future. Now all I want is my money back.Bad move Palmer.

Directamente sacados del kickstarter oficial del oculus rift, kickstarter que recaudo 2.437.429 dolares, 2 millones y medio

dDaunloz
26-03-2014, 02:30 PM
les recomiendo mirar este viernes the wan show

http://www.twitch.tv/linustechtips

seguro explota luke que era tremendo seguidor de oculus y VR en general

Juancho
26-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Mientras tanto en Sony...
https://i.imgur.com/2mFosdD.jpg

Reizor
26-03-2014, 02:48 PM
jajaja no lo pudo haber caido mejor a sony, realmente no me esperaba tienen razon los que invirtieron en el kickstarter en sentirse traicionado.

Juancho
26-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Twitter de Carmack (https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack)

slurp slurp... mamandola.com

ShonaZan
26-03-2014, 03:39 PM
este mark es un loquito, debe de haber una especie de mercadolibre de empresas en eeuu y el loco entra a ver que le sirve para comprar jaja es el 1 y todavía se caso con una chinita que capo

Ryuug4
26-03-2014, 05:14 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibjZqqXN3062nG.gif

dDaunloz
26-03-2014, 05:29 PM
The buzzing crowd held its collective breath as an NVIDIA employee walked to the front of the room and announced that Antonov had become ill and the session was canceled.

Oculus VR CTO, Slated to Appear at GTC, Begs Off Amid Acquisition News (http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/oculus-vr/)

"i'm so ill with all this money"

REN
31-03-2014, 10:33 AM
No les quedaba otra.
Se lo iban a fagocitar, porque MS y Valve ya están metidos en PC, y Sony que anda con el Morpheus puede que termine en algo para PC.
Le metieron mucho huevo, pero eran chicos, y no hay patente para impedir que los otros compitan y los mejoren.
El headset no es otra cosa que una pantalla de celular/tablet, lentes, y un cacho de plástico. Poca cosa pero mucha ingeniería y calibración.
Y los recursos de los otros son muy superiores.
Y hay un problema con todo esto, y es que los desarrolladores no pueden hacer releases de software compatible con todos.
O queda todo en un standard, o al final queda solo uno en pié.

BloodElf
15-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Algo interesante que dijo Palmer Luckey, creador de Oculus:

If you can perfectly simulate reality, why do you need to actually go see people in real life?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-creator-if-you-can-perfectly-simulate-reality-why-do-you-need-to-actually-go-see-people-in-real-life/1100-6419008/